Thursday, January 12, 2012

Anyone know classic car values?

In my ventures on craigslist I was asked today if I would consider trading my vehicle (which I am hoping to get around $7000 for) for a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am. It has the 400 engine with a 350 turbo transmission. I've been trying to figure out about what it's worth but I'm finding a range from $2000-25000 on these cars just based on whether its project condition or show quality. NADA guide lists low-quality retail at 9,750 but I don't really know what to base it off of. Can anyone help me out?



Here's what he said it needs done: "The interior is in good condition,it does need a new headliner ,new passenger seatbelt it has one littlte rip in the passenger seat at the seam.The passanger side tail pipe got knocked off thanks to my EX Wife.Runs and drives great.I just had new valve cover gaskets put on last weekend,and a new oil assending unit."



Anyone got any idea? Also, even if it is valued at a good price, how tough would something like this be to sell? I don't know what the market is like for 70s classic cars these days.Anyone know classic car values?
It's tough to say. What do you have that he wants in the trade? Is it a reliable vehicle? I probably wouldn't trade something reliable for a 1978 TA unless you have some emotional attachment to that type of vehicle, i.e., it was your first car. Your dad owned one and you want one like it, etc. Also, what are your intentions with this 1978 TA when you get it. Do you want to restore it, daily driver, etc. If you want to restore it to original ask the guy if it's a numbers matching car, having all the original parts on it. If so, then it might be worth the trade. If it's some high school drop out car that he wanted to beef up to beat the rice burners, it might be a shady trade. These 3rd generation cars, TA's and Camaros, are just barely becoming popular in the muscle car clicks. You can get good condition running cars like these for a couple grand. You can get ones in mint condition from 10,000 and above. Ask if the 400 is a four bolt main or two bolt main. That motor is worth some money if it's a 4 bolt. It's not worth 7000 but 500 or more. I have a 79 Camaro that I wouldn't trade for anything. But the 3rd generations are my kind of cars. I was born in 79 so that's one reason I'm attached to it. If you have some attachment to the car that you think is worth the trade, go for it. If you want a nice project car you can wrench on in your spare time go for it. But if you are trading a reliable vehicle for hopes of having a reliable daily 1978 TA driver that you hope will last....don't think that's going to happen. Just my opinion though.Anyone know classic car values?
Check Hemming's Motor News magazine at your local bookstore. That should give you a pretty good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment