Thursday, January 19, 2012

I want to join the national guard...but...?

When I was 16 I was convicted of "sexual battery". Basically what happened is my high-school girlfriends parents found out we were having sex and freaked out. They didn't want to admit their daughter was being bad so they conjured up some bs saying I forced myself on her. Anyway, I spent a couple months in juvi and was eventually convicted of sexual battery(felony). The judge said I would never have to say anything to anyone so I never did. In 2009(9 years later...i'm now 26)I talked to a recruiter with the army. I did the "honest" thing and disclosed everything to him. I was denied. Someone arbitrarily says to me "oh. Just go have your record sealed. No biggie!" so I talked to the juvenile probation department about this. They tell me, very enthusiastically, that "this happens all the time! People are always having their records sealed to join the military. No biggie." I get it sealed. I talk to a different recruiter. I make it to meps. I pass all the tests. I sign my contract. I pick my job. I'm on my way........5 minutes before swearing in "umm...excuse me Mr. (name withheld)...can I speak to you for a moment?" apparently something popped up on my FBI background check. Gee. I wonder what it was! So I was denied....again....



I've recently moved out of state to find a better job. I now have a better job. Ironically enough I work for the state. Their preemployment background check consists of taking all 10 fingerprints and sending em off to the DOJ(department of justice)/FBI. Nothing came up.



So...my question is this: WHAT THE HELL?



Can someone PLEASE give a straight, legitimate answer!?! I really would like to serve in the national guard. And I'm tired of getting misinformation and bs.



Is there any hope?I want to join the national guard...but...?
having a sealed record doesnt mean anything, its still viewable by the military and those who handle DOD background checks. depending on what state job you have it may or may not be something that they dig for. some background checks date back to the day you were born, some only the last couple years. also what you were convicted of might not mean anything to your employer especially considering that it was as a juvi... however it is a big deal to the military.I want to join the national guard...but...?
It's possible that when you moved out of state, the new employer only ran you for that state. Try to speak with the recruiter near you now, maybe he can explain it. also you can contact the courts and they can re-write your juvenile rec. A friend of mine had a charge on him from when he was 14, and the military would not except him due to it being a felony to the military. Same happened to him at meps. Years later he spoke to the n. guard recruiter and the recruiter went and spoke to the courts and explained that if the words could just be changed from breaking and entering (opened a car door and grabed something that wasn't his, but broke nothing) to unlawful entry, he could serve our country and join the military. vwola poof the courts made it happen and he is proudly serving in the n guard 2 years now. But it's true they do look at sealed records. you have to get the felony part out of your record.

No comments:

Post a Comment