Thursday, January 19, 2012

Left car running, idle for 2 hours, will that hurt?

I know this is crazy but I am extremely absent minded and went to a see a movie over the weekend and left my car running the entire time. The windows were rolled up all the way and it was about 80 degrees outside. When we got in it smelled pretty bad to me but it may have just been some fluids that were spilled under the hood of my car the day before by poorly trained technicians at Valvoline Instant Oil Change.



I've driven it for a few days now and everything seems fine, but I was curious if there may be some things I should look out for? Problems that may arise from it sitting in the heat turned on for so long?Left car running, idle for 2 hours, will that hurt?
I would look at all of the gauges for a while: temperature, oil, etc. I would also check the fluid levels: antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid etc. If everything checks out and the car is running okay then I wouldn't worry about it.
If your car is in good shape and everything is working, you should have no problems leaving it running (just wasting gas).Left car running, idle for 2 hours, will that hurt?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the car wasn't running hot (was the coolant temperature "idiot light" on or was the coolant temperature gauge showing it was in the red zone?), you should be fine. Idling is not easy on engines, but if you're changing your oil at 3,000 miles, you're in good shape.
At idle there is much less stress than while moving. As long as the cooling system kept the temp to proper running temps you are fine.



There is nothing wrong with letting it idle; other than wasting gas at 3$ a gallon and making the theft of your car very easy.Left car running, idle for 2 hours, will that hurt?
Need a little more info, did you happen to look at the temp gauge after you came out?



Believe it or not if the car is running fine (especially the cooling system) and if it is a newer car then everything is probably fine.



Chances are if it was overheating during the movie, something would have "popped" and blown your engine or at least a head gasket and some hoses.



If it was idling smoothly when you came out, then chances are everything is fine



Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment