Thursday, January 19, 2012

Is it safe to take this car on a long trip next summer?

Ok, here's the deal:



I'm planning on taking a long trip this coming summer and will be passing by many mountainous areas in Colorado, Utah, California, etc. I won't be off roading or anything though, just visiting a bunch of the National Parks and stuff. I'm wondering if you think my car is up to the task!



I've got a 2001 Olds Alero, V6, 88,000 miles right now. By the time I plan on leaving in June, it will probably have about 95,000 miles on it. I've done the calculations, and I'll be putting probably between 5000-6000 miles on the car during this trip. I've got newer tires, newer battery, and haven't really had too many problems with the car. If you think it's safe to take this car on a long trip like this, what would you recommend me tuning up before I left? Oil change and a new air filter before I leave is a given.



thanks!Is it safe to take this car on a long trip next summer?
I love Gm vehicles, better than ford but the mileage is at the point were things like alternators, water pumps power steering pump and even the transmision might blow a seal... before you leave take it to a reputable mechanic to see if you have any leaks from these areas, that is the innitial sign of a failure. Im not a mechanic by trade but by hobby..Most important, check to see if its a timing belt or chain on that car and check what the suggested replacement mileage is.. that $30 parts could cost on the road days and $1000's



Ive been working on cars for 30 years
That motor in the Olds where wonderful work horses and run forever. I would look at putting new plugs, wires, Serpentine belt, thermostat, and Fuel filter in prior to leaving, Carry a basic tool kit with you with in the event that something may happen. I make it habit to have an extra set of plugs, fluid (Oil, anti-freeze, windshield washer, and distilled water) on trips like this as you never know what may happen. If it's been a while since you have done it, you may want to inspect the upper and lower radiator hoses as well, make sure there are no soft spots on the hoses and they do not show signs of brittleness. Pull your wheels and check the brake pads to make sure your not down to the limit on the brakes, some of the hills in these areas can destroy already worn brakes. Also have the braking system bled before you go to make sure you have maximum stopping power. Nothing is worse then to be heading down a hill and find out your not able to stop. A good once over of the transmission is also a good check, if you have not had it done in the last 30K miles have the transmission serviced. old fluid in the transmission and cut a trip short really fast when your pulling steep hills on a hot day. having good clean fresh fluid in the transmission will greatly improve your likely hood of having an uneventful journey. Have a great trip.Is it safe to take this car on a long trip next summer?
I took my 1994 Ford Explorer on a 3000 mile trip and it ran amazingly. just take it to a mechanic to make sure everything is up to snuff. you're vehicle is still a baby. dont underestimate it.
If the car is running well now I think it will make it. Bring it to a mechanic before you go and have them give it the once over. Be sure to make them aware of the trip.Is it safe to take this car on a long trip next summer?
You shouldn't have any problems if you've kept up the oil changes and done routine maintenance, then this engine should last for 200k miles.



Before you go, inspect belts for cracks, if you haven't changed radiator hoses, then I'd highly recommend it.



Not sure if the engine uses a timing chain or belt, but if it runs a belt and you haven't changed it yet, then I recommend that too.



And then just before you leave, have your mechanic check it out for last minute potential problems.
I would have the following checked/done by a reputable shop/mechanic:

1. brakes - very important in the mountains

2. transmission

3. general tune up.



For the driver(s) - study mountain driving. Do NOT ride the brakes; let the car speed up, then brake heavily to drop the speed by a large amount; then coast again. This gives the brakes an opportunity to cool down. Do downshift the transmission when going down steep hills.



If the brakes do fail - head for small trees, dirt, etc to slow you down - do not worry about destroying the car - your life is more valuable.



Check the oil, tranmission fluid and the brake fluid levels EVERYTIME you get fuel. Carry a couple bottles of each with you. Read your owners manual.
I wouldn't unless you want to change the intake and or head gaskets on your trip, happy vacationing.
That's the 3100 V6 from GM right? If I'm not mistaken those should be fairly fine. If you want to be safe you should do your 100,000 mile tune-up before you go on the trip.
I drove my 96' Chevy Silverado from Louisiana to California, and drug a car back on a tow dolly. My truck had 150,000 miles on it at the time, but I took good care of the truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment